Celebrate Libraries® had the privilege in 2016-2018 of producing videos with digital imagery from two rare British liturgical books in a private Wisconsin collection.
Those works, a Book of Hours Sarum Use Manuscript c. 1400 and The Boies Penrose II Decorated Manuscript, are currently on view through June 16, 2019 in an exhibition at the Milwaukee Art Museum. The Art of Devotion: Illuminated Manuscripts from Local Collections may be viewed in the European Art Galleries, Level 2, Gallery S202.
Named in honor of local residents George and Marcia Lester, Lester Public Library opened in June of 1997. It is the second largest public library in Manitowoc County and is a member of the Manitowoc Calumet Library System. The new library replaced the Joseph Mann Library, a Carnegie library built in 1914.
The tower is approximately 25 feet high with a 4-by-16-foot vertical cast brass relief on each of the four sides. Above each panel is a lighted clock face. The structure was designed by Erick Jensen, of LJM architects, in the same style as the library. Artist Sharron Quasius created the brass panels.
Architect Erik Jensenand artist Sharron Quasiusare the designers of the landmark Weill Charitable Fund Clocktower (1997) located on an outdoor terrace at Mead Public Library in Sheboygan, Wisconsin.
Quasius and Jensen shared their memories of the design process in an interview recorded by Celebrate Libraries® in August 2018. The interview and a video featuring images of the clocktower will be available soon.