A Brief History:
A member of Rock Countyʼs Arrowhead Library System, Edgerton Public Library is located on land given by the Culton family to establish a free public library.
Steel magnate and self-made millionaire Andrew Carnegie donated $10,000 to the city to erect the library. The brick and stone building, designed by architect H.A. Foeller of Green Bay, opened in January 1907.
Almost 100 years later, the renovated library opened in February 2006 with a new addition designed by Frye Gillan Molinaro Architects Ltd. of Chicago.
The library actively seeks to provide public programming for people of all ages with free and open access to computers, books and other media. Community meeting and creative space is available. Popular offerings include the Summer Reading Program for children.
Artist William Wartmannʼs circular bronze sculpture titled “Saturdayʼs Children” is the focal point of the Albion Street entrance garden. Three poems by U.S. poet Emily Dickinson are engraved in the base.
The library exhibits books and toys relating to the life of former Edgerton author, Sterling North. The story of North and Rascal, his pet raccoon, have an international following and guests from around the world have visited the library to view the display.
Locally produced Pauline Pottery is arranged on the libraryʼs second floor.
Genealogists may search an obituary index file produced with information from area newspapers since about 1874.
Exciting plans are underway for the public library to be the new home of the Edgerton History Museum.