FOR MORE INFORMATION>
Lakeshore News published a press release about our Lester Public Library video and podcast project. https://www.seehafernews.com/2018/11/07/lester-public-library-publish-promotional-video/
Named in honor of local residents George and Marcia Lester, Lester Public Library opened in June of 1997. It is the second largest public library in Manitowoc County and is a member of the Manitowoc Calumet Library System. The new library replaced the Joseph Mann Library, a Carnegie library built in 1914.
Middleton is a western suburb of Wisconsin’s capital city of Madison. The library celebrated its 90th anniversary in 2017.
A New Century
On March 1, 2004, the library opened in an expanded, completely renovated, and fully occupied 10,000 square foot building.
Middleton Public Library celebrated its 90th anniversary in 2017.
The tower is approximately 25 feet high with a 4-by-16-foot vertical cast brass relief on each of the four sides. Above each panel is a lighted clock face. The structure was designed by Erick Jensen, of LJM architects, in the same style as the library. Artist Sharron Quasius created the brass panels.
Architect Erik Jensen and artist Sharron Quasius are the designers of the landmark Weill Charitable Fund Clocktower (1997) located on an outdoor terrace at Mead Public Library in Sheboygan, Wisconsin.
Quasius and Jensen shared their memories of the design process in an interview recorded by Celebrate Libraries® in August 2018. The interview and a video featuring images of the clocktower will be available soon.
This video features details from an artist’s maquette for “Spirit of the Rivers,” a monumental bronze sculpture created by R.T. “Skip” Wallen. The sculptural study was photographed in Two Rivers, Wisconsin in the office of Lester Public Library Director Jeff Dawson.
The completed “Spirit of the Rivers” sculptural group will be installed in 2018 on the Lake Michigan shoreline between Manitowoc and Two Rivers.